Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Simply Crochet Cowl Neck Poncho Pattern Review and Info


 
When I saw it on the Simply Crochet Magazine I just knew I had to make it at least once... little did I know... I have made three... and counting!!!
 
It is a very easy pattern. If you have tried my tutorial on How to Crochet a Basic Granny Square then the pattern for THIS PONCHO will be a piece o' cake!
 
I would like to give my readers a little help though. The cowl is made out of a combination of "Front Post Double Crochet" (FPDC) and Back Post Double Crochet (BPDC).
I am not going to make a tutorial on this because I found an amazing video tutorial from Meladora in which she explains in much detail how to crochet these two stitches. You can find her video HERE.
 
Another note that I would like to leave for my readers about this poncho pattern is that it uses the UK terms for the crochet stitches and the ones that I have been teaching in my Crochet Basic Series are all in US crochet terms. If you know how it works then you just need to keep that in mind when you crochet your own poncho but if you struggle with it a little bit, our friends at the Simply Crochet Magazine made us a few Conversion Charts that you can find HERE.
 
This is not a free pattern I must say but it is worth every penny you pay for it... it is simple, it is easy to read, to follow and of course... it is gorgeous.
 
The first Poncho I made, I followed all the instructions and it came out exactly like the pattern said it would... I just changed the colors of the original one, but for the second one I made, the green one, I let my creativity take charge of things and I added a stitch pattern that gives it a little playfulness as it breaks the lines and I also added a few more rows to make it longer.


Anyways, I hope you guys give the pattern a try and if you have any questions just leave me a comment and I will answer as soon as I can. I will leave here all the links again for you to find all the info you need.

Cowl Neck Poncho Pattern from Simply Crochet Magazine
How to Crochet a Granny Square - Basic
Meladora's Front Post and Back Post Double Crochet
UK and US Crochet Conversion Charts from Simply Crochet Magazine

See you soon...

 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are very welcome Bianca. I hope you enjoy making this poncho as much as i did.

      Delete
  2. I like the second (green) cowl neck poncho better because of the closer neck, like a turtle neck. What adjustments did you make?
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, the actual design of the cowl neck doesn't have any modifications, the only thing i did different is that i made more rows and used a smaller hook, the pattern calls for a 7mm and i used a 6.5mm.
      And then in the body of the poncho i made a block stitch for a few rows, the pattern for that stitch is specified in the pictures. Let me know if i can help you with anything else. Happy Crocheting!

      Delete