Saturday, August 9, 2014

Homemade Cream Cheese

Well, I know it's been a while now, but I am coming back with a great recipe of Homemade Cream Cheese. There are many places around the world where you can get this kind of cheese almost in every supermarket, but in this sunny corner of the world it is hard to find so I had to get creative and I came up with this little recipe that I hope you enjoy... I mean even if you can get it, wouldn't it be great to just know exactly what's in it?
Having said that, it is important to remember that this is a homemade product so you might find a slight difference in the texture as it comes out a little softer than the store bought one.
I also have to add, that I don't use any fancy equipment as I don't have any, so the temperatures are pretty much eye balled.
 
Cream Cheese Recipe
Ingredients
  • 4 cups of fresh milk (the fresher the better, I worked out mine with pasteurized milk (cause that is what I can get) but I do know for sure that if you make it with fresh milk, the results are even better.
  • 1/8 cup of lime juice
  • 1 Tsp of salt (you can put more if you want it saltier)
  • herbs if you want it to be a herbs cream cheese
Utensils:
 
  • Pot
  • Strainer
  • Clean Towel

Method:
  • Heat up the milk in a pot until you can see the little bubbles on the sides, don't let it boil. Keep stirring so it won't stick to the bottom.  
  • Take it out of the heat and add the lime juice. Almost immediately you will see how the milk separates into whey (clear liquid) and solids (curd).  

  • Add Salt and let it cool down a bit so you can touch it without getting burned. Once it is cool enough to be handled, strain the milk through a cheese cloth (I used just a clean tea towel) and a fine strainer.  

  • Let it sit until you don't see any more water coming through and then squeeze it a little bit so you dry it even more. The dryer you get it the firmer it will be. 
 

  • Let it hang for an hour and give it another squeeze and then place it (towel and all) inside a  cup or anything you have to shape it.  
 

  • Stick it in the fridge for a few of hours (I left mine in there for about 4 hours) so it firms up and you can separate it from the towel.
 
Aaannddd..... TAH DAAAH!! YOU HAVE MADE CHEESE.
 
Like I said this is a very simple way to make cheese, soon I will be attempting to make mozzarella once I get the things I need I'll get started with that and hope to post about it too.
 
This cheese I used to make cheese cream to frost a few cupcakes, it was delishus! and the kids loved that they were able to see the whole process of making cheese.
 
Hope you enjoy making cheese at home.
 
See you soon...
 
 


2 comments:

  1. cool!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!
    so... cream cheese is queso fresco?
    Hm... that would make making cheese cake so much easier (and cheaper :)
    Heike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that to make queso fresco which would be what is known as the Mexican cheese or Fresh Cheese you do need some other things like Citric Acid and Rennet. These two things make cheese sturdier without adding much tang to it. You may be able to accomplish that same texture with limes but you will need a whole lot and then you'll end up with a really acidy tangy cheese. This one is great to make Cheese cake, and I also found out that if you add a couple of tablespoons of powder milk to it you end up with some sort of Mascarpone which is great for Tiramisu and things like that. Let me know how you do with it.

    ReplyDelete