Finally here it is!! This recipe took a while to put together basically for two reasons, the first one is that I have been making this lemon Pie for a long time and I pretty much eyeball the measurements, so that was a little tricky and the second reason is because in my home my kids and husband like it so much that it never makes it to the pictures!!! But, it is finally here, I hope you make it at home, it is a very simple recipe, the procedure is very easy too and it needs but a few ingredients, only 6.
Lemon (limes) Meringue Pie
For the Crust:
- 2 cups of crushed vanilla crackers (Pulverized in the processor)
- 1/2 cup of butter
For the Filling
- 1 can of condensed milk
- Juice of 8 Limes
- 4 Egg Yolks
For the Meringue:
- 4 Egg whites
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
Method: Preheat your oven at 180 C or 375 F
- Melt the butter and mix it with the crushed vanilla crackers
- Pad it with your fingers into a pie mold. I use a glass one, but it doesn't make any difference if you use a tin or a silicone one.
- Bake the crust for 13 minutes and then let cool. (Don't turn your oven off)
For the Filling:
- Mix the egg yolks with the condensed milk
- Add the limes juice into the mix.
Important Note: Sometimes depending on the time of the year, limes are more sour or not so much or may have more juice than in other seasons, what I do is, I pour half of the juice and taste it and then add a little more if needed and taste it. (make sure you washed the eggs before cracking them) If you want it really tangy just keep pouring but if you don't then just add the limes juice until it reaches the flavor you like.
- Pour it onto the cookies crust and bake it for 13 minutes. Let it cool down a little bit. (Don't turn your oven off)
For the Meringue Topping:
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites adding sugar little by little. Beat them until you get nice and steady hard peaks.
- Pour this meringue onto the pie and fix it with a spatula so you cover the whole pie.
- Bake it for about 5 minutes and check if the top of the meringue peaks are turning golden brown.
- It should look like the one in the picture here...
- Now, this is the hardest part... you have to let it cool and then stick it in the fridge for about 1 hour before you can cut a piece. This will make it set all perfect.
Well, I hope you enjoy this dessert with your family, and let me know how did yours came out. I hope to be posting soon about the life in the farm as we just got ourselves some hens. The children are thrilled about them and they love picking up eggs every morning.
See you soon...